Jquery Dialog Test

Operation Clean-up to fix IPL

Published 10 June 2013
Operation Clean-up to fix IPL

After the working committee meeting on Monday, the BCCI has announced the initiation of "Operation Clean-up" to restore the credibility of the Indian Premier League that has been marred by the recent match-fixing controversy.

A number of measures ranging from restricting players' movement, to a ban on cheerleaders and after parties have been announced. In addition, players and team owners participating in the tournament will be asked to reveal their finances and source of their earnings. The franchise will also be asked to give details related to the terms of the contracts with their team players and staff.

The BCCI has also announced restricted movement in the team dugouts and dressing rooms, while Anti Corruption and Security Unit officials will be on guard at the team hotels and grounds. Cell phone towers will also be jammed at the venues during matches.

"The owners from now on will be restricted from entering dug-out and dressing room during matches. All players and staff of franchises need to furnish telephone numbers with the BCCI before the tournament," BCCI interim chief Jagmohan Dalmiya said.

No selector will be allowed to get associated with any franchise in any capacity, and those already with teams will be asked to furnish telephone numbers before the next edition begins.

The proposals will be finalised in another working committee meeting and captains of the teams will be asked to assemble in order to gather more ideas to make the IPL incident-free.

Kundra suspended

The BCCI also suspended Rajasthan Royals' co-owner Raj Kundra for his alleged role in the match-fixing controversy pending an inquiry. Kundra had admitted to placing bets on matches this year to the Delhi police last week.

The verdict means Kundra will not be allowed to be a part of any activities of the BCCI or the Royals until the probe ends.

Kundra's counsel Majeed Memon was surprised with the allegations and termed the action as hasty and irresponsible.

“It is shocking to find that the BCCI has taken a unilateral decision without listening to Raj Kundra’s side of the story. The decision has been taken in haste and it is totally irresponsible. It violates the Principles of Natural Justice,” Memon said.

“The basic principle is they should have called Raj Kundra, questioned him and then handed him a show cause notice. But the BCCI did not do any such thing and only on the basis of reports in the media, they have taken a decision to suspend him. This is the most unjust and improper order,” he added.

Memon said he and his client would challenge the suspension order in court.

A two-man inquiry commission comprising retired High Court judges T Jayaram Chouta and R Balasubramaniam was set up to look into the match-fixing allegations.

Kundra joins Chennai Super Kings' Gurunath Maiyappan, who was earlier arrested on betting charges.

In a statement last week, Royals said that they would suspend Kundra if the allegations were found to be true, in addition to him forfeiting his 11.7% stake in the Royals.

The working committee also forwarded a report on the fixing charges against Royals' players Sreesanth, Ankeet Chavan and Ajit Chandila submitted by the Anti-Corruption and Security chief Ravi Sawani to the inquiry commission.

Sawant new BCCI treasurer

In the meeting, it was also decided that Mumbai Cricket Association's president Ravi Sawant would take up the post of BCCI treasurer. The position was vacated after Ajay Shirke resigned earlier this month alongside secretary Sanjay Jagdale. Jagdale's post was filled by Baroda Cricket Assocation's joint secretary Sanjay Patel last week.